The courts or Harnett County were ordered to be held at Summerville until a courthouse was erected unless otherwise directed by a majority of the justices of the peace. It also named commissioners to locate the geographical center of the county and acquire land, lay out a town and erect the public buildings. The town was called Toomer in honor of John D. Toomer of Cumberland, a judge of the superior and of the supreme court.
Many people became dissatisfied with the location of Toomer, and in 1859 an act was passed to allow the voters to decide whether Toomer should remain the county seat or to select a new location. If a new site was selected, it should be called Lillington. Lillington was named in honor of Alexander Lillington.
Harnett County was named in honor of Cornelius
Harnett, an eminent Revolutionary patriot, president of the Provincial Council,
president of the Council of Safety, delegate to the Continental Congress,
and author of the Halifax Resolutions of April 12, 1776 .1