The act establishing the county ordered the first court to be held at the
town hall of Salem, at which time the justices were to select a place for
future courts until a courthouse could be erected. Commissioners were named
to select a place for the public buildings, acquire the land, and lay out
a town. In 1851 an act was passed naming the county seat Winston. In 1879
an act was passed authorizing that Winston and Salem be combined, provided
the people voted for the same.
In 1913 Winston and Salem were incorporated
as one town and Winston-Salem became the county seat.
Forsyth County was named in honor of Colonel
Benjamin Forsyth, a native of Stokes County who fell on the northern frontier
in the War of 1812.2