History for Cumberland County

The first county seat of Cumberland County was first called Cumberland Court House. In 1762 Campbellton was established at Cross Creek with provisions for the public buildings. In 1778 Cross Creek and Campbellton were joined and the courthouse was ordered to be erected in that part of the town known as Cross Creek. In 1783 Campbellton was changed to Fayetteville in honor of Lafayette.1

Cumberland County was named in honor of William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, third son of King George II. Cumberland was the commander of the English Army at the Battle of Culloden, in which the Scotch Highlanders were defeated in 1746. Many of them came to America, and their principal settlement was in Cumberland County. Cumberland was changed to Fayette County in early 1784, but the act was repealed at the next General Assembly.1

Historical Sites
legends & Ghost Stories
Cumberland County Page


1 Facts gathered from State Library of North Carolina.





About Us
Contact Us
Client Login
Suggest an Entry

The North Carolina State Tree is the Pine Tree.

The Pine Tree is the most abundant tree in North Carolina. In the early days of North Carolina History, the pine tree was used to make turpentine and other naval products.

Sign up for our WelcomeToNC.com mailing list.
E-Mail Address:
Home | Category Search | City Search | County Directories | Town Search | Index
© 2002- Professional Computer Consulting, Inc.- All Rights Reserved
WelcomeToNC.com is not affiliated with any state agency of North Carolina